A great recipe for days of an almost empty fridge … 🙂
For one big pot (cca 4 person) you will need:
- 500 g lentils (brown)
- 2 onions
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 carrots
- minced tomatoes
- dry orange peel (or fresh, but be sure the oranges are bio)
- olive oil
- In a pan heat the olive oil and water (mix it – half amount of water and half of oil)
- Chop the onions and garlic and cook them in the oil-water mixture
- Slice the tomatoes and carrots
- When the water from the oil mix evaporates and you are left only with the olive oil, add lentils, carrots and tomatoes. Season it with origano, parsley, pepper and salt.
- Add water and let it cook.
- When the lentils start to fall apart the dish is cooked.
- Serv with young cheese (in Crete it is called mizithra) or feta. If you like sour taste, add some vinegar.
- Traditionally this would be a side dish for salty sardines, you can eat it as a main dish or add it to meat, fish …